More of my sites

WinInfo Daily News
SuperSite for Windows
Windows IT Pro Magazine
Connected Home
Thurrott Dot Com
Windows Weekly at TWIT


About this site

For six years, the Internet Nexus served as my technology blog, but I've since started blogging at the SuperSite Blog instead. If you're looking for the blog, please head there. --Paul



Wednesday, September 21, 2005

Why I switched to Firefox

Scott Berkun:
I worked on IE 1.0 thru 5.0, and was one of the people that designed much of its UI. But my love for the past has faded. Last week I switched to Firefox: and I've been happy.

Why I switched:

IE is a ghetto. There are specs I wrote for UI features in 1998 that are unchanged today, 7 years later, in a world where browser usage has changed dramatically.

The Favorites UI model in IE is the same one we built in 1997, when we knew most of our users had 20-40 favorites.

Firefox has quality & polish. It picked a few spots to build new features (tabs), focused on quality and refinement, and paid attention to making the things used most, work best.

Security isn't annoying. The press makes security into such a huge deal, but I’ll be honest. I don't want to think about security at all.
You know what, Scott? F@#$ you. Seriously.

Sorry, but that's ridiculous. The press makes security a big deal? I thought that Microsoft, with its buggy and insecure software, was what made security a big deal. The very reason you have to think about security so much is because of Microsoft. It most certainly isn't because of me, or people like me. No one wants to write about security. We have to write about security. Again, thank Microsoft for that.

This is still an interesting bit of information--he also discusses valid problems he has with Firefox--but spare me. Only someone from Microsoft would complain, without any sense of irony at all, that they have to "think" about security. He may have switched to Firefox, but his head is still in Redmond.
[ Posted at 8:37 AM | Permalink ]

 



Nexus Home | Nexus Archives | Email Paul
Copyright © 2001-2008 Paul Thurrott. All Rights Reserved.