More of my sites

WinInfo Daily News
SuperSite for Windows
Windows IT Pro Magazine
Connected Home
Thurrott Dot Com
Windows Weekly at TWIT


About this site

For six years, the Internet Nexus served as my technology blog, but I've since started blogging at the SuperSite Blog instead. If you're looking for the blog, please head there. --Paul



Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Challenging Microsoft Office

Associated Press:
Web-based software and services are emerging for everything from checking e-mail to collaborating on business tasks.

Microsoft's concern is twofold: The paid services are convenient and easy to update, potentially offering an edge over Microsoft's Office and other desktop-bound applications. And the free services are, well, free; advertising often supports them.

OpenOffice's "Writer" is a close replica [to Microsoft Word], right down to the annoying tendency both have to try to "help" you when no help is needed. Writer repeatedly tried to finish the words I was typing. It also flashed a light bulb in the corner of the screen -- apparently its version of Word's much-derided Clippy.

Still, the entire free OpenOffice suite, which includes database, spreadsheet and other applications, was easy to download with a broadband connection.

And after I put Writer on my machine, I found I didn't miss Microsoft Word at all.
An interesting look at the Dark Side, from one of the norms.
[ Posted at 9:15 AM | Permalink ]

 



Nexus Home | Nexus Archives | Email Paul
Copyright © 2001-2008 Paul Thurrott. All Rights Reserved.