More of my sites

WinInfo Daily News
SuperSite for Windows
Windows IT Pro Magazine
Connected Home
Thurrott Dot Com
Windows Weekly at TWIT


About this site

For six years, the Internet Nexus served as my technology blog, but I've since started blogging at the SuperSite Blog instead. If you're looking for the blog, please head there. --Paul



Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Problems with OpenOffice

InfoWorld:
Before you start flaming, please understand that both I and the author of the news article are open source PROponents. We like open source. I've made a career of it.

But that doesn't mean open source is somehow infallible. Sometimes the comments here read like a devout Catholic thinking I've started a smear campaign against the immaculate conception. Keep in mind that it's just software and that it can always get better. Things get better as we find their bugs and improve them.

So, with that caveat....

OpenOffice stinks.
While I do feel that OpenOffice.org is a bloated mess in some ways, it's surprsingly capable. What the author is refering to by "stinks" is that it still doesn't offer a compelling alternative to Microsoft Office, which is only half true. But anyone who's seen Office 12 can tell you that Microsoft has suddenly and unexpectedly raised the bar a mile high. Office 12 is awesome. And thus, OpenOffice.org may or may not "stink," but it certainly has a long, long way to go. I'd rather see smaller, lighter individual applications like Abiword take off at this point, I guess.
[ Posted at 8:43 AM | Permalink ]

 



Nexus Home | Nexus Archives | Email Paul
Copyright © 2001-2008 Paul Thurrott. All Rights Reserved.