More of my sites

WinInfo Daily News
SuperSite for Windows
Windows IT Pro Magazine
Connected Home
Thurrott Dot Com
Windows Weekly at TWIT


About this site

For six years, the Internet Nexus served as my technology blog, but I've since started blogging at the SuperSite Blog instead. If you're looking for the blog, please head there. --Paul



Monday, October 23, 2006

iPod ... Five years later

Apple announced its first iPod on October 23, 2001, five years ago today. There's been a lot of retrospective stuff online, so I'll just note my own review of the first iPod, which originally appeared in Connected Home Express in December 2001 (Apple shipped me an iPod in November that year). The review has since been republished on the SuperSite for Windows:
Frankly, I didn't know how I would react to Apple's over-hyped MP3 player until I used one. Now I would have a hard time parting with it: Consider me converted.

Apple's iPod is a winner, despite its lack of Windows compatibility, heady price, and a few issues. I'd like to see a price drop, however, along with a better remote-control-enabled set of headphones. But it's hard to complain about a device that's so easy to use. Even beginners can immediately use the iPod, and the iPod's design and integration with iTunes will appeal to more sophisticated users.

If you're a Mac user and don't balk at the high price, I strongly recommend the iPod. Windows users might want to wait a bit, however, to see whether iPod Windows support appears and how well it works with their systems.
What's amazing is how much better it's gotten in five years while still retaining the spirit of the original (a brief let-down with the horrible controls of the iPod 3G were quickly forgiven). One of the big factors in the iPod's success, of course, is the iTunes Music Store. I'm not a big fan of proprietary lock-in solutions like iTunes. But you know what? The iPod is almost good enough for me to overlook that. It's still a winner today.
[ Posted at 4:06 PM | Permalink ]

 



Nexus Home | Nexus Archives | Email Paul
Copyright © 2001-2008 Paul Thurrott. All Rights Reserved.