More of my sites

WinInfo Daily News
SuperSite for Windows
Windows IT Pro Magazine
Connected Home
Thurrott Dot Com
Windows Weekly at TWIT


About this site

For six years, the Internet Nexus served as my technology blog, but I've since started blogging at the SuperSite Blog instead. If you're looking for the blog, please head there. --Paul



Saturday, December 09, 2006

Paul vs. Xbox 360

So the November 2006 update for the Xbox 360 has been causing a lot of problems, I've read (and written about, as it turns out). This morning, I discovered that the update is affecting me as well. When I woke up, my son said he had tried to play Kameo but it wouldn't work. I figured it was a dirty disk or something, but when I booted the game up, I saw the following unfamiliar message:

Version Mismatch
This game has been updated to an incompatible version.
For help, go to www.xbox.com/support

I did so. The error message is not listed on the site, and searching both microsoft.com and Google brought no results. I used Microsoft's online Q & A tool, but it's a useless front-end to the same info that's on the site.

So I called 1-800-4MY-XBOX, went through a suddenly familiar series of troubleshooting steps and then finally got to talk to someone (the trick is to say "agent").

After some silliness, I discovered that the November update had screwed over the game. I'm still going through a few older games we haven't played in a while to see if it affects any others, but Microsoft said they're working on a fix to the update and will post it automatically soon. They asked me to just wait for two days and try again.

Stupid, stupid, stupid.
[ Posted at 10:16 AM | Permalink ]

 



Nexus Home | Nexus Archives | Email Paul
Copyright © 2001-2008 Paul Thurrott. All Rights Reserved.