More of my sites

WinInfo Daily News
SuperSite for Windows
Windows IT Pro Magazine
Connected Home
Thurrott Dot Com
Windows Weekly at TWIT


About this site

For six years, the Internet Nexus served as my technology blog, but I've since started blogging at the SuperSite Blog instead. If you're looking for the blog, please head there. --Paul



Tuesday, April 03, 2007

“Want to” Vs. “Have to”

Ubuntu Blog:
More people use Windows not because they want to, but because they have to. More people use Linux [and OS X, I'd add --Paul] not because they have to, but because they want to.
I disagree.

But I think I see the point he's trying to make.

Actually, from what I can tell, many, many people use Windows because they want to. I'm talking about people here, not office drones. These guys want to access the world's largest software library. They want to take advantage of all the hardware that's out there. They want to play games. They want to do whatever it is. But it isn't always "need." It's often "want."

That said, many (most?) people who use OS X and, to a greater extent, Linux, are making a statement. My guess is that these people are generally very technical and know exactly what they want. They're smart enough to work outside the mainstream and know it's going to work. They know where to go to get help. And so on.

So I know he was trying to be profound. But this isn't "have to" vs. want. The truth is, for most people--like, 99.99 percent of the computing using public--a computer is a tool. What they "want" isn't a particular OS. What they want is a solution to a problem, or an answer to a need. They want email. They want the Web. They want Office. Games. Digital photos and music.

Anyone who stays up at night worrying about OS platforms just isn't part of the mainstream. That's not good or bad, it's just reality. And yeah, that might be me and it might be you (whoever you are, reading this). But it's not the world. It's not most people. Learning to understand that your needs and wants are not the same as other people's and are, in this case especially, a very minority opinion is an important step in getting The Big Picture. We'll all get there eventually.

Labels: ,

[ Posted at 3:59 PM | Permalink ]

 



Nexus Home | Nexus Archives | Email Paul
Copyright © 2001-2008 Paul Thurrott. All Rights Reserved.