More of my sites

WinInfo Daily News
SuperSite for Windows
Windows IT Pro Magazine
Connected Home
Thurrott Dot Com
Windows Weekly at TWIT


About this site

For six years, the Internet Nexus served as my technology blog, but I've since started blogging at the SuperSite Blog instead. If you're looking for the blog, please head there. --Paul



Monday, May 07, 2007

Switching Back

This has been forwarded around the Mac Web already, but it's still interesting:
I have been using Mac OS X as my primary OS for almost a year now, but last night I switched back [to Windows] ... I can’t believe I didn’t switch back sooner, the main difference is that the interface is much much smoother and neater and despite popular belief performance is actually fantastic. I was used to waiting on Mac OS X while my standards apps would open up - Quicksilver, Firefox, Skype, etc. but Vista goes almost straight into the desktop and most apps boot very quickly.

I didn’t expect it to be like this, I didn’t want Vista to be this good - I was expecting to boot back into OS X and living happily ever after, but damn, this is one fast, slick and nice operating system. If you are a Mac user try it yourself, install boot camp and Vista and it will feel like you just added another CPU and doubled your RAM - I can’t see any evidence for any of the reports of Vista being slow or power-hungry.
The only thing that's really surprising is that this surprised anyone. Windows Vista is a great OS. But like Mac OS X and previous Windows versions, Vista too gets bogged down over time. I suspect what he's seeing here is the difference between a year-old copy of OS X that's been loaded up with apps and a pristine new install of Vista.

As for the functional stuff he's just discovering and describing, I mean, duh. I and many others have been writing about that for years.

Sadly, a Mac isn't an ideal Windows machine, especially the portable ones. The keyboard differences are hard to overcome, especially. But if you want both OS X and Windows, it's obviously the only way to go.

Anyway. My guess is that this happens more often than some would like to admit.

Labels: ,

[ Posted at 4:17 PM | Permalink ]

 



Nexus Home | Nexus Archives | Email Paul
Copyright © 2001-2008 Paul Thurrott. All Rights Reserved.