More of my sites

WinInfo Daily News
SuperSite for Windows
Windows IT Pro Magazine
Connected Home
Thurrott Dot Com
Windows Weekly at TWIT


About this site

For six years, the Internet Nexus served as my technology blog, but I've since started blogging at the SuperSite Blog instead. If you're looking for the blog, please head there. --Paul



Tuesday, September 11, 2007

iTunes ringtones go live ... sort of

So I discovered this morning that the new Ringtones feature is live in iTunes 7.4.x, sort of: My only attempt thus far at making a ringtone has ended in the following error:

Could not create ringtone. An unknown error occurred (-42160).
There was an error in the iTunes Store. Please try again later.
OK

No big deal. But the ringtone creation process has revealed a glaring issue with this process. Not only do you have to find a ringtone-able song in the iTunes Store, but you don't actually get full ringtone making capabilities for your $1.98. What you get is the right to edit the song once, online, and make a short clip. You can't go back and make a different ringtone from the same song if you don't like the first one, without paying for it yet again. So that additional 99 cent fee just covers a single online editing experience, and one 15-second ringtone.

Obviously, I'm not a big ringtone buyer. But this seems kind of silly to me.

I'll have pictures in a bit.

Update: I bought a new song and got it to work. Again, pictures soon.

Labels: ,

[ Posted at 9:48 AM | Permalink ]

 



Nexus Home | Nexus Archives | Email Paul
Copyright © 2001-2008 Paul Thurrott. All Rights Reserved.